Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Are You Kidding ME?!

My name is Toni and I am a geek.

Since I was a kid I loved Star Trek and Star Wars and Babylon 5 (I haven't seen Battlestar Galactica yet, but I'm working on it.) and all that kind of stuff.

I haven't watched as much of this stuff recently as I used to. I used to watch Star Trek all the time. I could live off it. I had books and I dressed as a Starfleet officer one year for Halloween. (I told you, Geek.)

I always wanted to go to a convention. I just thought they looked like the coolest, most fun things. What a blast I would have at one of those. However, they were never near me and I actually really didn't look too much into it because they cost money. (What is the deal with everything costing money?)

I haven't thought about going to a convention in a loooooooooooooong time. Recently though I was on a message board for an actor that I really like. His work is great (and he's in everything). ANYWAY, I noticed that he was going to be in Tulsa at a Convention. Trek Expo 2010.

I nearly hyperventilated. Okay, not really but I got excited. Tulsa isn't too terribly far away from where we are and I figured if we left early Saturday morning we could make it there, hang out all day and then drive home Saturday night. Wouldn't even have to pay for a hotel.

I told J about it (With promises of appearances by Smallville and V actors) and he was very interested. The only problem was securing a babysitter for that day. I asked J to talk to his Mom and see if she would babysit for us. She's awesome and usually agrees to come (we do have to give her money for gas to get here because she's married to a . . . oh, that's a different blog.) so I allowed myself to get a bit more excited.

Today I hear J ask he about sitting. She says "That's in June!" (Yes and I would like to get reasonable tickets, she's a very last minute person, not sure she sees my point here.) Then she adds that she might like to go.

Of course that's her right, but now I have to babysitter. So, I tell J "If she decides to go You're staying home and babysitting because I'm going." This is something I have wanted forever.

He, of course, says. "Hah! I'm going! I'm not staying home!"

Cue a slightly ticked off ME.

So, to sum up. I've always wanted to go to one of these, not to mention the opportunity to meet Mark Sheppard. It was my idea, I did all the research. And I'm going to be the one sitting home and babysitting while my Husband and Mother-in-Law go have fun. Some how this isn't adding up . . .

(This makes me sound really selfish doesn't it? I'm really not that selfish, I Promise.)

2 comments:

Rayhne said...

Personally I would hand the kid off to husband and go. Am really tempted to go that con (under the excuse of visiting niece in Tulsa) and solely to see Mark again (wonderful man! Can't believe he remembered me for TorchSong) but prolly not going to be able to do it. But good luck!

Anonymous said...

Ooo, look whose blog I just happened upon. No it's not fair. YOU are the one going and that's it cause I said so.:P So, you have a few months to find a reliable babysitter. They are out there (I was one for many years), there are some that don't cost an arm and a leg (again I was one) and I'd be worth it to go see Mark Sheppard. ~ Romocentric