Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

It Tastes Good, Really! Yeah, Sure.

Kid will never trust a Pharmacist again.

My kid, like most kids, doesn't like medicine. He ESPECIALLY doesn't like liquid medicine. When I buy Tylenol or cold medicine I buy chewable or the kind that dissolves on your tongue. Liquids make Kid gag.

Now, he doesn't like medicine but he's usually good about taking it. I mean, he complains (Duh) but he eventually takes it because he has too.

Kid's been complaining about ear pain for a couple days and I assumed an ear infection. I finally got him an appointment yesterday.

We were right. Poor thing has an ear infection. The Doctor said "I'm going to get you something that tastes good."

Doctor doesn't know my kid very well.

We sat and waited at the pharmacy. When they called kids name, we went to the counter so the pharmacist could explain the dosing. The first thing Kid asked "Can I chew it?"

Nope. It's liquid. The Pharmacist ASSURED him that it tastes good. Most kids love it. The lady next to him agreed. "It's one of the few that does but it tastes good."

Kid wasn't convinced.

At home I opened it and called Kid to come take his medicine. We sniffed it. Seemed OK. I repeated to Kid that the Pharmacist said it tasted good.

Kid tasted it.

ADVERSE REACTION!

Drink Water!

Whining.

Gagging.

More Whining.

Another sip.

Drink water!

More gagging.

More Whining.

Drink water.

More whining.

Finish medicine.

Drink water! Drink water!

GAG! COUGH! GAG!

Success!!!

It was ONE teaspoon, people. One teaspoon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! My 9yo daughter is the same way, and one time when she was about 4 or 5 and had to take antibiotics, we got her to take it by giving her a cheese curl immediately after. I guess it helped get rid of the icky medicine taste.

Unknown said...

Sounds exactly like me taking liquid medicine! Haha. Poor kid, I know the feeling.

I Am Not Superwoman said...

Hayden to the T. He hates liquid medicine. Luckily, he doesnt get sick very often. Hope your little man gets better soon.

Call Me Cate said...

I'm not too bad about liquid medicines but I've run across a couple that were really nasty. I like to take them in one big gulp, like a shot, and then use a chaser of Diet Coke or something equally strong in flavor.

Dosing your kid sounds like dosing my cat. The trauma of administering one dose is so much and then you think - how many more doses?