Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Labor Day Heat

I hope you had a nice Labor Day Holiday.

We had lots of company. It wasn't so bad this time around. (Although, my house was still left a disaster.)

On Sunday we piled in our cars and drove out to The Choctaw Nation Labor Day Festival.

They have free carnival rides, games, food and live music all weekend. We had planned on going Friday also, but didn't make it.

When we pulled in on Sunday afternoon my Brother-in-law, his wife and their two kids were already there. Kid and I met up with Sister-in-Law and Kid, Niece and Nephew rode some rides together.

After we were all far far too warm we decided to take a break and head across the grounds to the amphitheater. There was live music all day. Though, in the afternoon it was a lot of local people and not a ton of talent. But, hey, there was shade and seating.

After we hung out down there for a while the kids started asking if they could go back and ride more rides. I refused to take all three kids back to the rides alone so my Mother-in-Law (Mamaw) gave in to Kid's begging and came along.

We let the kid's ride a few rides, chugged a few bottles of water, it was So hot.

We had just put Kid and Niece on the small child's swing ride when Mamaw told me that she wasn't feeling well. She asked if I would mind if she took Nephew and headed back to the amphitheater. I told her that would be find and as soon as the kids got off the swings we would be following her.

No sooner had she walked away than I started feeling odd. I figured I would be OK long enough to get the kids off the ride and back to the amphitheater though.

I stood there a bit longer, while their ride continued, and felt consistently worse. I thought maybe a sugar shock would help so I walked over to a lemonade stand that was only a few yards from the kids on the ride and ordered some lemonade.

I drank it in gulps. As soon as I turned to head back to get the kids I knew there was going to be problems.

My vision began to swim and suddenly there were a million little black spots closing in on my view until I could see almost nothing.

I turned back to the lady at the lemonade stand. "Look, I'm about to pass out but my kids are on the swings."

She told me I needed to sit down.

Yes, I knew that but I was sure I was about to lose consciousness and someone had to get my kids off that ride! I told her this.

She asked their names and what they were wearing and ran to get them. I'm thankful they could see me from where they exited the ride. The whole time I was thinking about all the times I told Kid not to talk to/go with strangers.

I sat down on the ground in front of the stand and managed not to pass out. Miracle.

In no time I was surrounded by volunteers and the EMS guy. They gave me a cold pack for my neck and gave us a bunch of bottles of water.

After I sat for a few minutes I felt much better. They did give us a ride in a golf car back to the amphitheater so I wouldn't have to walk.

Very eventful day, I would say. I've never been so close to passing out, ever. It's something I would like to avoid in the future.

Oh, we ended the evening with a  little Brit Nicole (who I really don't know) and a lot of Newsboys (who I Love) so that was pretty awesome!


Kendra said...

That is scary. The only time I passed out was after I had donated plasma and I was in the kitchen doing the dishes. I did fall to the ground but thankfully didn't hit anything. It was really scary! Glad you're alright!

Call Me Cate said...

Yikes - I must've missed your adventures this weekend. How scary! This is about the third blog post I've ready though in the past couple of weeks about people suffering from the heat in that way. I'm glad you were able to take care of yourself and somehow manage not to lose track of the kids!

I Am Not Superwoman said...

Wow, scary day. Hope you are better, did you ever figure out what caused it? The heat? We just saw Brit Nicole at Fishfest a couple weeks ago. And Newsboys, awesome!

Tales of Cheerios and Sleepless Nights said...

Scary!! So glad everything turned out ok and you were able to stay conscious.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.